Monday, March 28, 2016

3pp Top Ten: March 26, 2016

Every week Paizo sends out an email detailing the happenings of the Paizo store. This includes top 10 lists of what sells on their stores. Each week I'll be focusing on the list, 'Top 10 downloads from other companies' and commenting on the rise of the companies involved and changes of the list.

1. Path of War Expanded - Dreamscarred Press

With the book finally completed the expansion to the already popular Path of War seems to be coming out with a bang. New classes, new disciplines, new maneuvers, if you were all aboard with the original Path of War  then you have more of the same only this time probably a bit better since Path of War had a few growing pains and in this one some clarifications come online, plus you get new archetypes for even psionic classes.

2. Kineticists of Porphyra - Purple Duck Games

Kineticists of Porphyra is still killing it and probably for good reason. With the youth of the class there's a lot of obvious ground to cover and this product is timely in giving it to us.

3. Kineticists of Porphyra 2 - Purple Duck Games

With the first book selling KoP2 is an obvious addition to the list. Since last week I've been able to at least scan over this, thanks to writer N, Jolly, and this book brings a bunch of crunch threatening to give a simple elemental blaster as many options as a normal spellcaster. I look forward to taking a deeper look

4. The Genius Guide to the Talented Witch - Rogue Genius Games

It looks like the 'Talented' line of pdfs still have steam. Capable of making a witch where spells are an optional mechanic, this product lets you make a witch the way you want instead of a pet wizard.

5. New Paths 8: The Trickster - Kobold Press

Kobold Press' most recent class entry is still on the list  and for good reason. A 20 level arcane trickster that plays well with existing options is great. One can only hope that a New Paths Compendium 2 is around the corner.

6. Path of War - Dreamscarred Press

Well you can't have Path of War Expanded without the original so an obvious addition to the list with the spike gained from the expansion. 

7. One on One Adventures Compendium - Expedious Retreat Press

Last week I mentioned the possible audience for one on one adventures with the tone that this was a rather niche audience. Well this product has been on the top ten list for a while so I guess it's way bigger than I implied. Want to start a game but all you have is that one buddy that doesn't flake. Here is a massive book to get your game on when players are a scarcity.

8. Ultimate Psionics - Dreamscarred Press

Once again Ultimate Psionics stays on the list being a constant reminder of how many people haven't already bought this already and the impressive amount of word of mouth that Dreamscarred Press has about their quality and scope.

9. Four Horsemen Present - Hybrid Class: Shifu - Rogue Genius Games

This actually got in my hands recently although I have barely looked at it. The description makes it's popularity obvious thought. This is the third kineticist related  book on the list.

10.  Psionic Bestiary - Dreamscarred Press

With the Ultimate Psionics being the psionic core rulebook You're definitely going to need the psionic bestiary to fill in  monsters to make your games more psionicy.



Again Dreamscarred Press has a whopping four entries on the top ten list.

The most popular trend seems to be new classes or Kineticists but for sure player options as Psionic Bestiary and One on One Adventures seems to be the only GM focused books and the rest giving heavy amounts of crunch to players . Path of War is obviously back on the rise with a new product that makes the original more valuable.

The only one out is the Advanced Race Compendium to make room for Path of War Expanded. Other than that it looks like the list hasn't changed much. I am a bit curious about why the Shifu class from Rogue Genius games stands out  from the other hybrid classes Four Horsemen have put out. Personally I have a lot of base classes to deal with so throwing more on the list is exhausting so maybe the Kineticist relationship makes it unique enough to feel necessary or present a new experience. I'll have to take a good look when I review it to find out I guess.  

New products that have caught my eye this week include;

Four Horsemen Present: Young Character Options - Rogue Genius Games

This one went on my wishlist because the option to play as a young character presented in Ultimate Campaign felt correct but didn't offer anything satisfying. seems like an appealing product for anyone who wants to play a kid campaign.

Into the Breach: The Magus - Flying Pincushion Games

Under the banner of d20pfsrd.com Publishing the Into the Breach series already covered the magus class but I thought it was awful. I never gave it a proper review because the series' first product, covering the Summoner was equally awful but got a vastly superior update and I was waiting in vain for an update for the magus book until I forgot about it completely.  Luckily there's a new version and I'll be doing a review on it soon to see if it redeems it's previous iteration.

Directive Infinity X - Gaming Paper

Endzeitgeist gave a five star review for this one and a modern fantasy adventure is right up my alley so it's going straight to my wish list..

Scorpions of Perdition - Legendary Games

My obsession with playing Pathfinder out of genre continues with Legendary Games' newest addition to their Metal Gods plug-ins. Of course it's in my wishlist now, along with Starfall as something to buy when we reach mid levels in my Infinity Matrix campaign.


Things are also shaking outside of Paizo's newsletter. 

Another new product that doesn't suit my needs but is interesting is a mini codex of NPCs for the Legendary Planet campaign. Legendary games has been pretty busy with Occult archetypes, another product that allow the newer Occult classes to play option catch up.


So far Drop Dead Studios is on it's fourth book expanding it's popular Spheres of Power book with more archetypes, sphere talents and other options. The latest is The Diviner's Handbook which even has a new archetype for those into Occult Adventures. The Player's Guide to Skybourne is also finally released to the public from its successful Kickstarter. More on that later.


Wayward Rogues Publishing has been releasing hybrid classes at a steady pace lately with the latest being the Empath. I'm currently waiting to see if that is all collected into one bundle so I can check them all out at once.

The recent Everyman Games/Rogue Genius Games merger is paying off as a new bundle has hit with all of Everyman Games releases come in a $20 package. Even though I had roughly one third of the products it was still a great deal for me so I picked it up before they changed their minds.  You'll be seeing reviews eventually of everything here but I'll tell you now, if the rest of it is half as good as what I already have from Everyman Games then this is a crazy deal.


As you may have noticed I've stepped this weekly post to be more than just the top ten in the Paizo newsletter but the general happenings that I'm noticing when it comes to new products that catch my attention. Eventually this will extend a bit as the scope of the blog extends but for now I'm sticking with third party Pathfinder products.  So until next week where I'll bring you more current Pathfinder 3pp news.






No comments:

Post a Comment