Thursday, January 21, 2016

Review: Tangible Taverns: Simon's Dinner Theatre



This one is a bit hard to review. This is mostly because it's kind of more of the same from the previous Tangible Tavern I've reviewed so there isn't much I can really say about it. This one is one place with a lot more fluff and a lot more opportunities to wedge in a campaign but the same thoughts apply. Spoiler alert: I like it. But lets see what it's actually about.

This one is about Simon's (deceased) Dinner Theatre. A place costing a whole 2 gold to get in and only has the special and expensive drinks but also comes with a show. There are twelve plays described but really  you can do any plot related thing you want. The dinner theatre is detailed enough where you'd want to use it in multiple campaigns so I'm already contemplating femme fatale divas relevant to the plot. There are of course rumors and events tables that are interesting but general enough to move whatever plot you have going. There are also NPCs along with their stat blocks so you aren't stuck having to dig around the NPC Codex or Dungeonmaster's Guide.

Its nice to have something in the ole GM arsenal for a place to get information and have a night out for the PCs that aren't perpetually blood and dirt stained hobos. There's always one party member that wants to participate in a bit of swank and NPCs that would want to meet somewhere more cultured than The Drunken Barfight.  It's also a virtual idea factory capable of fitting into a lot of campaigns and inspiring new details about a campaign. I'm already deciding how to make it a central fixture of a campaign due to the amount of work it saves and the flavor it evokes. I can't really think of reasons to give it anything below five out of five stars. Sure it's not the prettiest pdf and Augustus is weirdly powerful for a tavern owner but my main criteria for whether or not something is good is if I feel compelled to use it and I really feel compelled to use this so it gets a full five stars and I'll get back to it at the end of the year to see if it's among my favorite releases of 2016.

You can find this over on Paizo.com here.

No comments:

Post a Comment