Friday, March 4, 2016

On the Horizon: Crisis of the World Eater.

LPJ Games has finally put out the kickstarter for Crisis of the World Eater. What is it and why am I excited?



LPJ started the rumblings about this project a few months ago. The name was ominous and there was a slow trickle of information. As it started to materialize it was revealed that this was to be a massive series of serial adventures that takes place over a number of third party settings. Not just that but over a dozen publishers were signing on to contribute. As more details came out the concept seemed more epic as there was now a 'World Eater' that is obviously the major threat/antagonist and a free sample adventure that starts off the whole thing (Which is fun by the way.) where a messenger of the event brings a warning too late by being captured and experimented on.

Normally I don't get too deep into third party adventures. I have the odd adventure here and there for filling in the gaps of campaigns I design but if I'm not running an adventure path from Paizo I'm more likely to home brew an adventure. However this project seems to pander to me by tickling a lot of things that I love.

First of all this project evokes comic book vibes like crazy. If you're familiar with  Ultimate Marvel, specifically the Ultimate Galactus trilogy, A Warning Too Late looks really familiar. Its basically a scifantasy interpretation of 'Ultimate Nightmare'. The concept of defeating the titicular World Eater involves traveling to different worlds and uses the title Crisis which immediately makes me think of major comic book crossover events involving interdimensional travel and alternate worlds like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret Wars. Part of my brain screams "Rip-Off" but I know good and well that I want to play a Pathfinderized amalgam of those concepts. As a Pathfinder player and a comic fan this concept has so many opportunities and looks like loads of fun. Also, honestly, it's not a concept that hasn't been done by multiple comic companies.

Then there is the scope of the whole thing. The multiverse is at stake. Multiple companies worth of worlds need to be visited. Not only is the scope unlike most campaigns that I've witnessed in Pathfinder but we also get some samplings of third party settings that we wouldn't otherwise know about, or if you're like me just not interested enough to give them a shot. There's even some hinting at having some Neoexodus and Necropunk in there along with some robots and stuff, so I'm already sold on the idea since scifi Pathfinder is my favorite Pathfinder. Also if you look at the list of contributing companies, that list is a doozy.

Overall I think this is a nice concept and if the quality is the same as the free sample it's well worth the price of pledging. It doesn't need much help funding anymore since it's reached almost double it's asking price and as of writing this it has 31 days to go,  but there are always stretch goals, which can include a lot of adventures for the $20 it takes to get them. If you're like me and you get hyped over comic book cosmic adventure in your Pathfinder campaigns then this is a great opportunity to get a lot of bang for your buck. If you're unsure, check out the adventure that is put out for free. Play it out one night and see how it goes. I for one got chills.


No comments:

Post a Comment