Friday, November 6, 2015

Review: Tangible Taverns: Trio of Taverns



Okay, sorry to put my final opinions at the top but I already love this series. I already know that I'm going to use it and what I'm using it for.

What this is, is a profile of three taverns for your PCs to interact with. Each tavern gets a description of the tavern itself to set the mood and a description of the food. There's also a simple map to give the place a bit of shape. There are two tables for each tavern, a rumor and an event table. The rumors and events have a lot of openings for whatever campaign you throw this in and actually interesting enough to partially write for a campaign as you will definitely feel compelled to work with the rumors and events as they feel organic for the tavern. But for the most part they are mundane and related to the tavern more than any other kind of flavor. There are also descriptions on the owners or workers or even patrons of the tavern. Vivid ones that PCs are bound to interact with and they all interact with the rumor or event table in some way.

About my only criticism is that two of the stat blocks were saved for the end of the book making things a bit awkward. And for the characters that don't have stat blocks it would be nice to get a page reference number to a Gamemastery Guide or NPC Codex  stat block. The formatting isn't terribly fancy but its all clear and neatly divided.

Aside from the last entry I am impressed that food gets such an interesting writeup. I cant remember how many times that question was asked and I awkwardly made something up.

But above anything else is just having a nice tavern that players can actually interact with. Usually PCs just stop at an inn, lose some money and get their spells back. Plenty of times I've awkwardly tried to make things more interesting by improvising but there can be a lot of inns and taverns in a campaign so its taxing to make one that your players are willing to blow time on. This makes my job as a GM easier, it gives me NPCs I don't have to make up and can hook up to any kind of campaign. All of those are those are huge boons for me so I'm giving this five stars out of five. Its a lot of work saved for a subject that I don't see anyone really tackling frequently enough.

You can find it over here at Paizo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment